History of Zachlorou
The name came from the Zachlorou Slavic “Zagkloro” which means “behind the mountains”.
Zachlorou built during the Ottoman hunted by locals who came from the villages of Epirus in the Peloponnese. The inhabitants amount to about 112 mainly occupied with agriculture and animal husbandry.
From the train station starts Zachlorous path that connects Zahlorou the Great Cave. The trail was used in the old days, where the road to the Great Cave did not exist. The journey takes about 45 minutes.
The village is surrounded by the largest forest in the prefecture of Achaia, pine, chestnut, fir and offers visitors tranquility and serenity.
In Zachlorou are meticulously hostels, hotels, rooms to stay and restaurants where you can enjoy delicious local dishes.
History of Kalavrita
One of the most impressive regions of Achaia is covered by the mountain of Helmos. The beautiful and picturesque town of Kalavrita is built at an altitude of 750 meters at the foot of Helmos, and is 77km. From Patras and 190km. from Athens. The area is a tourist destination for thousands of visitors both winter and summer.
The arrival Kalavrita reminds the visitor that the trip to the beauty and the story continues. The idyllic natural environment and the diversity of vegetation blend with the traditional settlements and the history of Kalavrita.
In ancient times, the position of Kalavryta Kynetha was the city destroyed by the Aetolians and rebuilt on Roman Empire by Emperor Hadrian. In the early 13th century it passed into the hands of the Franks and the fortress whose ruins dominate far above the town of Kalavryta is the most important medieval castles in the Peloponnese. The castle has been connected with family Palaeologus.
Kalavrita played a leading role in the beginning of the Greek Revolution against the Turks, in March 1821. The Monastery of Agia Lavra, on 21/03/1821, the Old Patron Germanos declared the revolution, raising the sacred banner, which survives to this day and is of the most valuable national treasures.
During the Second World War, the German conquerors came to Kalavryta and the events that took place marked Kalavryta. On 13/12/1943 the Nazi troops executed all the male population aged 14 or over and completely burned the city. Living monument to the tragic events is the “Place of Sacrifice” in Kapi hill, and the elementary school that houses the Museum of the Holocaust.
Today Kalavrita a tourist resort all year round because of their privileged position and rare natural beauty. In the area, you can visit unique attractions historical, archaeological and religious monuments, traditional settlements and villages, culminating in the great beauty that nature embraces her.
The gorge of Vouraikos is one of the most beautiful sights of our country. The special feature of the gorge is the little train that runs from end to end. The rack offers its passengers a magical journey with majestic rugged beauty, towering cliffs and waterfalls continuing at the narrowest point of the journey called “Doors” where the train goes through a tunnel.
Beside the train tracks a path is marked with symbols of European path E4 used by Greek and foreign hikers. The path to the download takes about 6 hours to upload and about 7 to 8 hours.
Odontotos Rack Railway
The Odontotos Rack Railway Diakopto – Kalavryta and memorable ride through the canyon unsurpassed beauty Vouraikos are one of the most beautiful monuments of our country and has been described as the most spectacular railway line in the Balkans.
The construction of the cog railway decided on Trikoupian governance within the grand plan for the railway connection of all Greece. The project was finished in 1895 and inaugurated the following year with the participation of the then king. The first machine was steam and water towers were each stop for replenishing water.
Diakopto from Kalavryta is 22 km and the journey takes an hour. The slope of the line does not allow the use of a conventional train, so between the rails a gear shaft that allows the operation of a mechanism to raise the train from sea level to Kalavrita having an altitude of 750 meters. The lines have a width of 0.75 meters and is smaller in width lines in Europe. The rack offers its passengers a magical journey with lush landscapes, towering cliffs and waterfalls synechizontasi the narrowest point of the journey called “Doors” where the train goes through a tunnel.
Beside the train tracks a path previously chrisimopoiousan the local inhabitants, today is marked with the symbols of the European Path E4 and used by Greek and foreign hikers. The path to the download takes about 6 hours to upload and about 7 to 8 hours.
Monastery of Agia Lavra
The historic monastery of Agia Lavra is located 5 km from Kalavryta, founded in the 10th century by a hermit. Burnt down by the Turks in 1585 and 1827 and by the Germans in 1943. Later it was rebuilt in its present location and form.
In 1821 he became the center of national revolution against the Turks with the unfurling of banners and the inauguration of the fighters from the Old Patron Germanos.
The most precious treasure located in the monastery is the banner of the inauguration of the fighters of 1821, ie the first flag of the Greek nation, the Epitaph of 1754 embroidered in Smyrna, the image of St. George embroidered in Istanbul from Kokona the clock, donated by Gospel Russian Empress Catherine II the Great, the embroidered vestments of Veterans Patron Germanos medaillons, carved wooden crosses and shrines of saints.
Also, among the relics is the skull of Saint Alexios, patron saint martyred town of Kalavryta, which is celebrated on March 17. There are also the skull of St. Philaret the Merciful, Saint Panteleimon, Holy Friday, the Saints Anargiri etc.
Moreover, very important are 3,000 publications within the library of the monastery of which the oldest dates from 1502.
Waters of Styx
The Waters of Styx are the imposing, rocky Neraidorahi terms of Helmos and altitude 2.100m. An impressive waterfall formed by the water fall of about 200 m and flow into the river Krathi. The ancient Greeks believed that the waters of the Styx guarded Hades and terrorizing gods and mortals swear lies.
Site of Sacrifice
There, in 13th of December 1943, the entire male population (14 years old and under) of Kalavrita executed by Germans. Today, at the hill of Kapi it is a stone sculpture that dominates the pained mother and a great Cross, which reminds us this heinous crime.
The Kalavrita Holocaust Municipal Museum
The Monument of The Heroes of The Revolution of 1821
The Monument of The Heroes of The Revolution of 1821 located north of the Monastery of Agia Lavra. The Heroes of the Revolution of 1821, which sacrificed for the freedom of the Greek nation from the Turkish yoke, is the most magnificent monument of the nation. Each year the National Day events start at the Memorial, where memorial is celebrated in memory of the glorious heroes. To Historic Monastery of Agia Lavra is located 5 km southwest of the town of Kalavryta, founded in the 10th century by a hermit. Burnt down by the Turks in 1585 and 1827 and by the Germans in 1943. In 1821 he became the center of national revolution against the Turks with the unfurling of banners and the inauguration of the fighters from the Palaion Patron Germanos.Later rebuilt to its present location and format.
The Monastery of Mega Spilaio
The monastery was founded at this location in 362 A.D. by two brothers, Symeon and Theodore, because an icon of the Virgin Mary was found deep inside the cave where there’s also stream. The icon was discovered by a shepherd girl and was created by Apostle Luke from mastic and wax.
The walls of the church in the monastery are covered with frescoes from 1653. Also stored there and manuscripts Gospels and vestments.
The Mansion Palailoginas is a typical building of the 15th century and is located in Kalavryta on the road St. Alexiou. It has been restored to its original form and transports the visitor to the glorious era of the Palaiologos family while working as a cultural venue for meetings, conferences, workshops etc.
Church of Plataniotissa
The Shrine of Our Plataniotissa located 30 kilometers from the town of Kalavryta, Kalavrita the road – Aigio via paddles.
The church of Plataniotissa has formed in the hollow of a huge plane, which originated from three trees that grew together, and over the years came together and created a remarkable masterpiece of nature. The plane has a height of 25 meters around the perimeter of the base of 16 meters in the middle of 12.65 meters and has a capacity of 20 people.
The temple is celebrated on September 8.
Cave of the Lakes
Particular mention should be made of the “Cave of the Lakes“, which is a rare creation of nature and one can hardly meet peers. Located near the village of Kastro, on the main road Patras-Kalavrita-Kleitorias-Tripoli, and is about 17km. from Kalavryta, 9km from Klitoria and 60 km from Tripoli.
The cave has a labyrinth of corridors, mysterious tunnels and special drip formations successive graded in three levels and ponds make this one of its kind in the world. The crossing of the lakes by small man-made bridges. On the lower floor of the cave fossils were found, human and animals including hippopotamus.
In winter snows melt and the cave becomes a subterranean river with natural waterfalls. During the summer months a portion of dried up revealing indented stone basins and dams of up to 4 meters. The rest of the cave retains water permanently in thirteen lakes. The developed length of the cave, which is open to visitors, is 500.
Kalavrita Ski Center
The ski center has ample space for parking, first aid station, two chalets, ski rental (with much experience in the field) and two ski schools.
Of particular interest is the large wooden Finnish chalet of 1,200 sq.m. Located next to the parking lot and has a fast food shop and a fully equipped cafeteria.
It also features a multi-purpose building, 700 sq.m. in place Deep Lakka, with canteen, public areas to serve skiers, restrooms and parking for snow track sleepers. The streets are scoured of snow 24 hour three snowblowers, while five snow track sleepers take every night to prepare the faithful.
The ski resort has a total of seven lifts: one triple overhead, a five-seater air and sliding. The ski center has a total length of 20 km and include all levels of difficulty.